Thursday, September 15, 2011

Quick Update

It has been quite an interesting year so far. Last year at this time I was in seminary at Southwestern. During the course of last fall they decided to drop the licensing part of their masters degree in counseling. In addition to this, several of the key professors of the counseling department left and were being replaced with professors who did not promote being licensed. I wasn't getting the education I was paying for, and I decided it was best for me to leave.
Focusing on new things, I felt it was time to pull out of graduate school all together. I got to the point in my life where, to be honest, I just got tired of being in school. It was time for me to start a career and begin my life, so to speak.
I began praying about where God was leading me next. As I have expressed to many people, I have a life long dream of opening a children's home one day. I have always had a heart for kids, and had a desire to work with kids. As I began to think and pray on this for a few months, I really felt like education was a perfect fit. Working with children in education, interacting with parents and other teachers day in and day out, seemed to coincide with my future goals of opening a children's home and would give me invaluable experience.
As the spring 2011 semester began, I enrolled in an alternative teacher certification program. I have completed the program and passed my certification test for the 4th-8th grade generalist. This means the I am certified to teach the 4th-8th grade here in Texas. I have not secured a teaching position yet, and may not for the fall semester. But I am continually applying and seeking a teaching position.
This past week I put in an application to volunteer with Big Brothers Big Sisters. I am really excited, and looking forward to getting involved with this organization. It is an incredible thing to be able to make an impact on the life of a child.
April and I are continuing to look for a church home. The task of finding a church home in the metroplex can be a daunting task. I have been told by many people that you can literally visit a new church every week for years, and still not have visited all of them. As this search continues, I believe that we are making good progress and have possibly found a good fit for us.
I would ask for every one's prayers for finding a teaching position, as that has been a big thing on my mind over the past few months. Also, please be in prayer about the children's home. I have tried to reach out to a few friends lately who have opened children's home in other countries over the years. Seeking guidance about doing the same thing here in the states.
God is good. I know that He has big plans ahead. Until next time. God bless.


Micah

No comments: